Sunday, August 22, 2010

Packed like pickles. It'll catch on.

I miss Brittanie so bad I can hardly breathe. She read me Berenstein Bear books and American Girl books and Star Wars books until I fell asleep on her bed. She snuck me episodes of FRIENDS when I was too young to watch them on my own without feeling guilty. She introduced me to Ellen Degeneres' comedic genius. She made me watch ridiculous movies until I loved them. We consumed so many medium pizzas and cinnamon sticks from Dominos that its a miracle we didn't weigh 400 pounds by the time we were 20. She taught me about character integrity and cheered me on at my first and last parades. We talked about everything. And I guess we still do, but I wish I could hear her laugh when I tell her about my ridiculous days and the things I can't believe I did.

Through all of this though, I keep coming back to Ellen. And not because she's so inspirational and an amazing role model. She is, but thats not why. Its because she can always make me laugh. I know that seems weird and a little twisted. Who would watch stand up comedy right now? Brittanie would. And she would want me to. She'd want me to laugh. And while my true laughter may come rarely, it's nice to know that it still exists. And while I wish I could hear her amazing laugh, I know she's quoting Ellen right next to me and laughing. What a great laugh that is. I'm so jealous of the people in Heaven that get to hear it all the time. I have a video that she took of me a few years ago and she's laughing behind the camera. You can't see her, but you can hear her. Its such a treasure and I don't know what I'd do if I were ever to lose it.

I don't know what the message of this post is, or if there even is one. Except maybe to remember to laugh. You never know whose life you are touching or even bringing a smile to their face when you laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNvzHLYUlJ4

Watch it. It'll make you laugh. :)

0 comments: